Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another emergency vet visit


Day 11 and Casey still has diarrhea and is still vomiting. I can't go on doing nothing to help him. We as humans have the runs and vomit and we take at least an antacid. There must be something I can do to ease him. I call our regular vet again. They are closed as it is Sunday. The message says to go to the 24 hour vet hospital which is 30-40 mins away. I decided that another trip to see strangers was not what I wanted for him. I called the orthopedic surgeon on his pager, Dr. Woolfson, and he called me immediately back. He said he agreed it was probably the Duramaxx, but he needed him to be seen and did not want another stranger to see his patient! I was relieved although I probably ruined this poor man's weekend day off! We decided to meet at a half way point for us both as Dr. Woolfson lives further south than I. We met at a clinic he works out of a few days of the week.
So Casey got a physical exam and Dr. Woolfson was relieved. It is know that these nsaids can cause severe ulcers and if bad enough will need surgery. He didn't see any sign of that. He was happy I brought him in and treated his symptoms to get him better so as not to continue to get weaker. Not a good thing for a dog whom just had knee surgery to get weak. He gave him a direct shot of medicine into his "good" leg. It was equivalent to Pepcid-AC. Then gave him a dose of Gastraphate orally. This is a pink thick bubble gummy looking med. Casey took it, but didn't love it. This coats the tummy and intestines. Then he gave me 3 cans of dog food for intestinal problems and more "Pepcid-AC (aka Famotidine) in pill form for 5 days. All the while this surgeon is covering all the bases, I am sitting wondering "why did the vet yesterday not do any of this?" Now this man has to interrupt his day to do it. Don't get me wrong, Dr. Woolfson was more than happy to accommodate us and he said so many times that this was his job and his life. I could see it in his eyes that he really cared and Casey was not just another patient. That was another moment when I realized we had made a great choice in letting this surgeon treat our pup. Then Dr. Woolfson called later in the day to check in on Casey AND again the next day too!

Well that was the last time Casey had vomited and the diarrhea ended that day too! It just took someone to take the time to treat him! I am so angry with the vet we saw the day before and I will complain. Just a bit of a set back as he was too weak to do any walking other than his potty breaks.

1 comment:

Mac said...

Having a new pet brings along multiple responsibilities. Depending on the pet chosen, new owners will have to be prepare to invest a lot of time, energy and money. The maintenance of just a small animal can run up to thousands of dollars annually. Most times that cost does not even take into account the possible need for emergency veterinarian care.



Vet Weston MA